Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Intellectual Property and Code of Ethics 001

As you may have noticed, I have watermarked every picture embedded in my blog posts. I had a recent plagiarism incident where my whole post was copied and integrated to somebody's blog and there was no citation to it apart from a link at the end of this blog post.
I would like to mention in this post that the information I write to my blog is free for everyone to share. But, the initial source of this information should be mentioned following the academic ethics. I am sure that the majority of infosec professionals had an academic education and therefore written some kind of dissertation according to some official rule set. For example in my MSc we have the following rules.
After a long search over the Internet I found a document under the name "Data Citation Best Practice Discussion Document" which can be found here.
It is a nice reference for all of us who do use references in our blog posts and we don't copy them without respecting the work of our colleague.
I am free to discuss this subject and of course, eager to hear any different point of view.

1 comment:

  1. There are certainly a lot of details like that to take into consideration. That’s a great point to bring up.

    ReplyDelete